Project Updates as at 31 May 2017
Status: Project Execution
- This project has continued to progress broadly in line with the implementation plan and towards a revised estimated completion date of December 2018. The completion date was extended due to the delay in the procurement of the baggage handling system which resulted in the project phases being revised in line with the airport’s operational requirements.
- Work on this complex refurbishment project has continued to make substantial progress and Phase 1 of the project, which focused on the construction of additional space to accommodate new baggage handling and screening facilities started on site in September 2015 and was completed in July 2016. This project is being executed on a phased basis with Phase 2 to 5 being delivered as a single contract.
Next key milestones:
- Phase 2 North A – New Ticketing and Baggage Handling (scheduled completion Sept 2017)
- Phase 2 North B – Renovation of existing Ticketing Hall (scheduled completion Jan 2018)
- Phase 3 – Immigration, Baggage Claim and Customs (scheduled completion Jan 2018)
- Phase 2 South – New Departure Hall (scheduled completion July 2018)
- Phase 4 – Renovation of existing Departure Hall and Customs (scheduled completion Dec 2018)
- Phase 5 – Renovation of existing Departure Hall, Arches and Duty Free Mall (scheduled completion Dec 2018)
Estimated project completion timeline: December 2018 (end of Contract).
Project Updates as at 30 November, 2016
Status: Project Execution
Phase I, the enabling works to build a new facility for a new baggage sorting and luggage screening room was completed in July 2016, and delivered within the agreed contract sum of $3.78m. Work to complete the redevelopment started in September, 2016, with a revised completion date of December 2018. The new expanded ticketing hall and new Immigration and Customs Hall are scheduled to be completed by October 2017. Once complete, the airport will almost triple in size and will be able to offer a much enhanced service to its customers.
Project Updates as at 25 May, 2016
Relevant EY Recommendations:
8.1 – Airports Authority, immediate improvements
8.2 – Sale or long term lease
OR 8.3 – IPO
OR 8.4 – PPP
PROJECTS ASSIGNED TO: MINISTRY OF DISTRICT ADMINISTRATION, TOURISM AND TRANSPORTATION (DAT&T)
Minister: Hon. Moses Kirkconnell
Project Sponsor: Mr. Stran Bodden, Chief Officer
Overview (taken from Cabinet’s Project Future Programme Brief): This project aims to deliver improvements at Owen Roberts International Airport, largely in support of the tourism industry but there will be benefits to business more broadly and to residents as facilities are upgraded
Status: In Project Execution.
- Phase I is due to be completed by end of June 2016. It consists of around $3 million of enabling works, to build a new facility for the outgoing baggage make-up area. Completion will allow for phase II to start.
- Phase II was awarded in May 2016, having been out for open and competitive tender. This phase will deliver a new airport terminal and is valued at around $40m. It is scheduled to start in June/July 2016 and to be completed by Summer 2018.